If you are looking to generate a CSR on Microsoft IIS 10, the following step-by-step guide will help you through the process. Follow these instructions to ensure you generate a valid CSR and obtain a trusted SSL certificate.
- Access the IIS Server
To begin, launch the IIS Manager and click on the server name in the left-hand Connections menu.
- Access the Server Certificates Manager
On the Home page for the server, locate the IIS section in the centre window, and double-click Server Certificates. This will open the Server Certificates control panel in the centre window.
- Create a Certificate Request
In the right-side Actions menu, click Create Certificate Request. This will open the Request Certificate wizard in a new window.
- Fill out the Distinguished Name Properties
In the Request Certificate wizard, fill out the Distinguished Name Properties with the following information:
- Common name: Must be a fully-qualified domain name (FQDN) like “domain.com”.
- Organization: Your organization’s legal name. If you do not have a company or organization, you can put another name or N/A here.
- Organizational unit: Your department within your organization. If you do not have an organization, put N/A.
- City/locality: Your city.
- State/province: Your state or region. This information must not be abbreviated; for example, you must use “Florida” instead of “FL”.
- Country: Your country (select from the drop-down list).
Once you have entered the required information, click Next to proceed.
- Cryptographic Service Provider Properties
On the Cryptographic Service Provider Properties page, select the following options from the drop-down menus:
- Cryptographic service provider: Microsoft RSA SChannel Cryptographic Provider
- Bit length: 2048
Note that these are the standard options, but you may be able to select different options if needed.
- File Name
On the File Name page, click the “…” box to specify a name and location to save your CSR file. The default directory is C:\Windows\System32. Click Finish when you are ready.
- Locate the CSR on Your System
Navigate to the directory where you saved your CSR file and open the CSR in Notepad or your preferred text editor.
- Generate Your SSL Certificate
Return to the Generation Form on our website and paste the entire CSR into the blank text box. Then, proceed with the remainder of the order form and submit when you are ready. You should receive a vendor order ID number, and your certificate will enter the Validation process.
After you complete the validation process and receive the trusted SSL Certificate from the issuing Certificate Authority (CA), proceed with the next step using our SSL Installation Instructions for Microsoft IIS 10.